Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cataloging is fun!!!!!

I am one of the very few people left in the world who catalog in a library. I mean catalog items from scratch, not copy catalog from OCLC or somewhere else. I do copy catalog out of OCLC for many items, but there is nothing like adding a record to OCLC or the library catalog that you have done yourself.

I have been going through a lot of rare items that have been cataloged prior to my arrival here at the Center. Once completed, every item will have been recataloged since my arrival. The old library director was not as much a librarian as a bibliophile, although he was an expert in the areas of freethought, humanism and some areas of the paranormal. So the catalog was not very good. He had students help him, but his knowledge of cataloging was not very good, so I had to redo everything.

I have found some rare Ingersoll sentiments, lectures and other related items recently. I will be going through all the rare items that have not been cataloged at all very soon, once I complete these old somewhat cataloged items.

I also found some works signed by Ernst Haeckel to TB Wakeman. Haeckel is a philosopher from around the turn of the 20th century. Wakeman is a freethought advocate and periodical publisher and lecturer. For more information on both, see The Encyclopedia of Unbelief.

No comments: